Friday, September 30, 2011

Pre Marathon Jitters

You would think that having completed 2 1/2 Ironman distance races this past summer that facing down a marathon in 2 days would be a "walk in the park" mentally... Like hell... Right now, while I know I can do this, the concept of running for 42.2 km and somewhere around 5 hours straight seems absolutely NUTS...  Honest to God why do I do these things??? Ok fine. I know why.. To test myself, to keep creating new more difficult challenges be they physical, mental, or a combination of the 2.. I'm doing this marathon to prove I can and to build my mental strength... 30K - been there and done that.. Add the extra 12 and the "no mans land" period of the race I keep reading about and well, in a sick twisted way that's the part of the race I'm most looking forward to...
Preparation - well there is the training. Done.  Made a pit stop at the Sally Ann last night and bought a $5 sweatshirt for the race start. It's washed and dried and ready. Race gear is laid out. Bottles and all fuel is laid out and ready to be prepped tonight. Room is reserved in Belleville. Carpooling is organized, Saturday schedule is organized. Roomie for the night and I plan on watching Run Fat Boy Run and laughing our asses off pre-race evening... There really honestly truly is nothing more I can do at this point other than to keep hydrating. get to bed early tonight, and once we pull into the race expo location on Saturday just start soaking it all in!!! It's my race, it's my day and at some point in time on Sunday early afternoon I will cross that finish line and get the medal for my first marathon, pre 40!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment